This Act was passed to provide development of all sectors of the economy through the incorporation of local content in their productive activities. The Act establishes several aspects of the local content inclusion process such as the Sierra Leone Local Content (SLC) Agency. It also creates a fund to support suppliers, exporters and importers; details provisions for employment and training of citizens; generates a SLC certification, scorecard, and a performance report; and establishes several rules for tendering processes.
The Act also requires bidders and subsequently, operators to submit a Sierra Leonean Content Plan each year to demonstrate compliance with local content requirements. The Plan must indicate “how an operator or contractor will give first consideration to Sierra Leonean companies, materials, goods and products made in Sierra Leone, including specific examples showing how first consideration is considered and assessed in evaluation of bids for materials, goods and products required by the project, operations or activity.”
The Sierra Leonean Content Plan must also detail:
- Local content that will be utilized in the production process and the percentage increase in such usage over time.
- extent to which joint ventures, alliances and other forms of collaboration between foreign and Sierra Leonean manufacturing enterprises will be used to increase the manufacturing capacity and knowhow of Sierra Leonean enterprises.
- Laws and Regulations Generally Promoting SME or Local Content
- Small and Medium Enterprises and PPPs
- Laws and Regulations on Inclusion of SMEs in PPPs
- Public-Private Partnerships Laws/Concession Laws.