Region: Latin America and Caribbean
Sector: Energy and Power
Keywords: Climate Smart, Renewable Energy, Energy and Power Core
The National Electric Energy Agency (ANEEL), a special regime autarchy linked to the Ministry of Mines and Energy, was created to regulate the Brazilian electricity sector through Law No. 9,427 / 1996 and Decree No. 2,335 / 1997 .
ANEEL started its activities in December 1997, having as main attributions:
- Regulate the generation (production), transmission, distribution and sale of electricity;
- Oversee , directly or through agreements with state agencies, the concessions, permits and electricity services;
- Implement federal government policies and guidelines regarding the exploitation of electric energy and the utilization of hydraulic potentials;
- Set tariffs ;
- Settle administrative differences between agents and between those agents and consumers, and
- Promote the activities of concession , permission and authorization of ventures and services of electricity, by delegation of the Federal Government.
Image by HarryStueber from Pixabay
Updated: October 25, 2021