About the partnership agreements
From 2007 to 2009 the State Government undertook a worldwide competitive tender for the operation of Melbourne's train and tram networks.
The current partnership agreements for the operation of Melbourne's train and tram services began on 30 November 2009. The contracts to run the train and tram franchise are for a maximum of fifteen years, split into an initial eight-year period and a seven-year extension.
The right to negotiate the extension will be based on the operator's performance through the first six years. Otherwise after eight years there is a fixed price option to extend the franchise by up to three years. The agreements continue to include performance standards that will be closely monitored and reported on through the quarterly Track Record bulletin.
Expression of Interest
- Expression of Interest Brief (PDF, 1MB)
- Expression of Interest Brief: Appendix A and B (PDF, 2.2 MB)
Invitation To Tender - Melbourne Metropolitan Train Franchise
- Train - Volume 1 - Tendering Information and Evaluation Criteria (PDF, 0.9 MB) and
- Train - Volume 2 - Franchise Overview (PDF, 1.9 MB)
Invitation To Tender - Melbourne Metropolitan Tram Franchise
- Tram - Volume 1 - Tendering Information and Evaluation Criteria (PDF, 0.8 MB) and
- Tram - Volume 2 - Franchise Overview (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Passenger rail franchising in Victoria - an overview (PDF, 772 KB) a comprehensive report about earlier rail franchising periods.
The partnership agreements clearly outline the roles and responsibilities of the operators and Public Transport Victoria.
- Day-to-day operation of trains and trams to Public Transport Victoria performance standards
- Responsibility for customer service, including tickets sales, passenger security and station staff
- Employment and management of staff
- Maintenance and cleaning of vehicles, tracks and stations.
- Safety regulation
- Sustainable funding
- Coordination of timetables between trains, trams and buses
- Long-term network and strategic planning
- Development of a new ticketing system.
- Train-Franchise-Agreement-Vol-1-of-2 (1)